Thursday, March 13, 2014

Informatics in Anesthesia

As a doctorate level provider, we are expected to provide research and change practice. Computers and information systems have become an integral part of the health care system especially over the last 10 years. In my short nursing career, I remember the chaos when our hospital "went live" with its new electronic medical record (EMR). This system converted the nursing staff over to electronic charting, while the providers continued using paper order entry. Recently, they have opted for a newer system which streamlines the EMR, and all levels of staff will use the same system (including anesthesia)! In the past, the OR and the ER are the last to adopt these changes (which seems kind of backwards to me), So, this hospital is one of our clinical sites so I am looking forward to the opportunity to utilize computer charting in the OR (I believe there are only a couple of hospitals in West TN that have computerize charting in the OR).
I believe computers and technology have so much to offer when properly utilized. My hope is that through this course and through continuing education, as technology changes, I will be able to provide the best possible patient care!

No comments:

Post a Comment